Tuesday, February 7, 2012

TWD- White Loaves

I'm back to Tuesdays With Dorie and a new book! We're now baking from Baking with Julia, by Dorie Greenspan. I'm really excited to bake from this new book, which is full of great recipes and some new things that I've always wanted to try like puff pastry! The book is based on the PBS series and has great contributors like Flo Braker, Nick Malgieri, Alice Medrich, Nancy Silverton, and Martha Stewart.
Baking with Julia: Savor the Joys of Baking with America's Best Bakers
The first recipe from the book is White Loaves, chosen by the brains behind TWD Laurie and Jules. The recipe is just basic white bread- two 1 1/2 pound loaves to be exact. I LOVE homemade bread but I've always had a problem making it. I don't know why. I either kill the yeast, it doesn't rise properly, it's not salted enough... the list goes on.
This recipe is straightforward and really easy. I halved the recipe and (sorry) I used mostly whole wheat white flour (from Trader Joes) to make it a little healthier.
 I let it rise too long the second time; the resulting loaf did not have the height of a lovely loaf, but it did taste pretty yummy. My kids loved it with jam.
Jules and Laurie will have the recipe and check out the blogroll to see what others have baked up!
Next up: Chocolate Truffle Tartlets (whoo hoo!)

18 comments:

  1. As long as the kids will eat it, it must have turned out alright. I seriously considered using white whole wheat flour myself, but I was too intimidated by bread in general to stray from the recipe. Have you made this substitution (using all whole wheat flour instead of just substituting part of it) successfully in the past?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've used all white whole wheat flour in place of all purpose flour. I've never had any problems with the substitution, but they've all been straightforward recipes. Nothing too technical!

      Delete
  2. As long as the bread tastes good, who cares how high it rises :) Good for you for choosing to use whole wheat flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the only kind of success I count, when everyone eats it and loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always have a winner if the kids like it and eat it as they are the most discriminating palates ever...lol! I have just gotten into bread baking in the last few years and am loving it. Each loaf is different, depending on everything you can imagine, sort of have their own personalities, and yet it is so forgiving...I have done the worst things and it still turns out most of the time! Happy to see you baking again with this group!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to visit your blog! Your cakes are really looking amazing. Just gorgeous. I know you will get that bread to baking just right. Can hardly wait to read your next post!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cames are really interesting - individual pieces of art! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If they eat it, it's success!
    Love your blog header.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as it gets eaten... glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey if it tastes great, who cares what it looks like?? :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry it did not rise well. At least the kids loved it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I consider it a massive success if it tastes good and your kids love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It still looks delicious. This bread is so good it is worth trying it again. I'm sorry you were not happy with it though! Glad the kids liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kid tested and approved = success! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am with everyone else, as long as it tastes good and the kids eat it, it's a success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to baking along with you and the rest of the TWD bakers. I agree, it was tasty that's what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im glad I was not the only one who had trouble with the bread rising! Im convinced it was my yeast. I
    It's nice to be back baking with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your bread looks great! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete